viernes, septiembre 16, 2005

Firefox: Thumbs Up.

Well, I've just finished my first Firefox extension. A pretty silly one, but hey. There's places in Neopets.com you can only check so often - and keeping track of when you did it is a big hassle.

So I made a program which would keep track of it automatically. No more, no less. Don't want to make a cheat program, it's just a handy extension. Hope the Neopets staff realizes it and doesn't ban it when I try to announce it in the guild. :sweatdrop:

Sent it to the UMO (addons.mozilla.org) service. It's pending approval by a rewiever now. Hope it's anytime soon.

I've spent the last 4 days on this, they BETTER approve it =D. I'm actually glad, as I've had to use most common aspects of extension making while building it: making a sidebar, opening new tabs, keeping track of preferences (and observing their changes made in other windows), handling Greenwich times properly, and so on.

The chrome:// approach is really smooth, a great idea from the Mozilla guys. And support for localization is quite good, though I wish some of the online tutorials were a bit more updated. Especially the part about the chrome.manifest. It took me several bangs against the wall till I found the official packaging instructions, which pointed out the mistake in the tutorial.

It was a big surprise when I found out all of Firefox's GUI was done using XUL (a derivative of XML), CSS, DOM and JavaScript. XML and the rest are stuff you'd normally find in a website. The part that needs compiled code (i.e: connection-handling routines and the like) is glued to the scripted GUI through XPConnect. Nice, isn't it?

Link here (not available yet, warn you):
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1239

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario