domingo, abril 09, 2006

OpenSuSE 10.0

I almost feel kind of sorry for leaving Ubuntu after trying Hoary, Warty and Breezy, but this time I had a good reason. Actually, a few:

- Epson C42SX printer didn't work. At all. And if it did, print jobs went awry when paper was missing or anything of the sort.
- Scanner didn't work either. This didn't surprise me though.
- Bad integration among programs.
- SCIM acted all weird. Emacs had its own input system, Firefox 1.5 broke when trying to use SCIM, and every Breezy update broke SCIM, so I had to regenerate the input method module files every time.

So I went over to The Compatibility Distro, OpenSuSE. Not bad at all!

- Printer works, and continues jobs properly after errors.
- Has Adobe PDF, Macromedia Flash Player and Real Player preinstalled
- NVIDIA drivers out of the box. Working fine after a little tinkering.
- Samba network working fine after looking into it a little too.

Actually, I've added some more stuff, like proper shortcuts to the Windows apps I use within Wine, like Wakan or eMule. Also installed some Windows games, everything seems to be working fine.

Now if I could get my scanner working, I could get rid of Windows once and for all. Tsk.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario