martes, mayo 10, 2005

Going Postal: Mr Pump



Well, I just needed to leave this quote somewhere I could remember afterwards. As some of you know, I usually go through two works of fiction simultaneously, one, usually something for my PhD, in book format, and the other, an audiobook. Well, the audiobook I'm listening to now is Terry Pratchett's "Going Postal", book 33 (33, was it?) in the Discworld series, read by Stephen Briggs. Absolutely cracking, and the acting is great. This quote is a dialogue between the new postmaster, ex-thief Moist Von Lipwig (!!), and his parole officer, a golem called Mr Pump, who is read by Briggs in a thunderous voice which I will always from now onwards associate with golems. Great performance. So here we go:

‘I need some fresh air. What happened in there? Why is it so...creepy? What happened to the Post Office?’
‘I Couldn’t Say, Sir,’ said Mr Pump placidly.
‘You don’t know? But it’s your city,’ said Moist sarcastically. ‘Have you been stuck at the bottom of a hole in the ground for the last hundred years?’
‘No, Mr Lipvig,’ said the golem.
‘Well, why can’t—’ Moist began.
‘It Was Two Hundred And Forty Years, Mr Lipvig,’ said the golem.
‘What was?’
‘The Time I Spent At The Bottom Of The Hole In The Ground, Mr Lipvig.'
‘What are you talking about?’ said Moist.
‘Why, The Time I Spent At The Bottom Of The Hole In The Ground, Mr Lipvig. Pump Is Not My Name, Mr Lipvig. It Is My Description. Pump. Pump 19, To Be Precise. I Stood At The Bottom Of A Hole A Hundred Feet Deep And Pumped Water. For Two Hundred And Forty Years, Mr Lipvig. But Now I Am Ambulating In The Sunlight. This Is Better, Mr Lipvig. This Is Better!’


Now, isn't that such great fun? Ok, I must have been overambulating in the moonlight, I suppose. I still think it is a hilarious bit of writing.
I am certainly becoming a great Pratchett fan.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario